Become a ScienceOpen Activist and change the world of scientific publishing! Apply to become part of our think-tank and our voice in the community.
Scholarly Publishing and science are frustratingly slow when it comes to change. Newton’s lab-books from 300 years ago probably look similar to what PhD-students still scribble in today!
Old habits die hard in research. Other than social media, scholarly communication is still largely focused on publication in journals where anonymous peer review delays the liberation of newly gained knowledge by months, if not even years.
We are still using systems that have operated for decades and centuries. But do they really still work? Research studies can be irreproducible; billions of public funding lock up knowledge behind pay walls and embargos became a bargaining chip between authors and their publishers.
Many people know this. The Open Access movement has provided a practical way forwards and has moved way beyond simply portraying an idealist view of the world to demonstrating it. But why isn’t Open Science our reality right now?
The ScienceOpen answer: we need more activists!
We need your help: Apply now to become a ScienceOpen Activist:
- You know best what needs to be done: tell us about Open Science discussions at your institution.
- Give us your ideas on how to improve ScienceOpen: be the first to test implemented features on ScienceOpen
- Join a community of doers: through frequent Webinars and an Activist camp in Berlin in December you will get to know like-minded people
- We will give you the right tools: activists receive items such as stickers and some ScienceOPENers (inspired by this viral video!)
- Create a bigger network: ScienceOpen has been around for over a year, so join the platform and get to know the network
Regardless of whether you are an early career researcher or a senior scientist, have a background in natural sciences or study languages, work as a librarian or for a funding agency, you can apply here. Please also share why you are enthusiastic about Open Science.
Let’s take it to the next level. And make change happen.
Viva La Revolucion!
Originally posted at http://blog.scienceopen.com/2015/10/this-oa-week-become-a-scienceopen-activist/